Friday 6 June 2008

Waste Bins



The day they confiscated our waste bins at work was a turning point for me.

There was the smug look on the face of the confiscator and his assistant. A smug look that acknowledged we would all hate the changes but it was for the good-of-the-planet.

My company was going 'green'.

So they took away the bins from every desk and these were replaced by two central containers - one for paper and one for waste. These containers had to be strategically placed in the middle of the offices and as far from every desk as possible. The theory was that the effort of walking to the new bins would make us all think about the necessity of throwing stuff away. Yeah, right. As if I'd walk halfway to the bin before considering whether I needed to throw my empty crisp packet away. And that's when I realised the true extent that 'bollocks' is infiltrating our everyday activities.

My company isn't 'green'. This was a feel-good thing. They felt good despite creating massive inefficiency.

Resourceful as ever, some people hid their bins during the purge, but out-of-hours raids soon discovered these. Some people use old cardboard boxes hidden under their desks and some just throw paper on the floor. All the plastic waste bins were thrown in the skip, (oh, such wonderful irony) and within a few weeks they ordered a load of new ones for use in the factory. Factory workers are metaphorically chained to their work stations and mustn't wander off.

And so began my journey into grumpyness and I've ended up here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What the hell were they thinking of? Bloody ridiculous. What next - no toilets?!?

Grumpy Old Biker said...

Funny you should say that...

They have put up a sign on the toilet door which says something like,
"Think before you leave a stink"

I thought it was to make us consider whether or not we really needed to go - but it's only to encourage the use of the air freshner

Anonymous said...

Talking of bollocks:One of my brother-in-law's many dubious business ventures includes marketing the 'carbon-offset capabilities' of various projects. He is currently offering for sale the green effects of a company's planting of 1000 trees (in Israel as it happens, not that this is relevant). The idea is that uber-polluting industries 'buy' the green effects and carry on polluting with impunity. Barking mad? Yup!

Anonymous said...

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I' ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.