Thursday 26 June 2008

Disability Dolls


I’m not often stuck for an opinion, but this one’s really tricky…

My first reaction to “disability dolls”, and specifically the Down’s Syndrome version, was one of disbelief. It all sounds slightly sick, especially considering this is one in a range, which includes hairless dolls – “Chemo Friends” – for children undergoing chemotherapy.

You can also buy dolls with prosthetic limbs, walking frames, hearing aids, and “blind” dolls complete with guide dogs.

These dolls apparently sell well, so somebody is buying them, but I bet it’s not the children.

No one sees themselves as they are, and who needs a reminder every time they pick up a doll? After all, who looks like a Barbie Doll with her breasts to die for and legs that go on forever? Dolls are a fantasy (at least they are for me), and I’m sure I find these slightly patronising and I suspect they’re a creation of the well-intentioned but utterly misguided people that ‘know what’s best for everyone’.

What think you?

No comments: