Saturday 7 June 2008

DSA (1)


I failed my Hazard Perception Test last week...

This nonsense is part of the Theory Test that all budding new drivers must pass before they are allowed to take a Driving Test. I was sitting it as part of the qualification to join the DSA Register of Post Test Motorcycle Trainers - more on that later.

The Hazard Perception Test consists of showing 14 'real life' video clips and when a hazard develops the candidate clicks the mouse button to register a score. The score ranges from 5 down to 0. Thirteen clips have one hazard and one clip has two hazards. All the hazards are pre-staged by the DSA.

Let me say, whoever came up with this idea, it was brilliant. Sadly, the reality is complete rubbish.

The moment of clicking determines your score and these moments have been identified by an expert. The DSA tell the candidate they only have one chance on each video clip because we only get one chance out on the road. A true but slightly smug statement. But I'd bet my house, my life savings and my favourite cat that the 'expert' looks at the clips more than once before identifying the max score point.

The test is a lottery. Class 1 police drivers have failed the test. I haved failed the test. I hate it.

And the humiliation of standing in a room full of spotty adolescents and hearing the women announce the passes before turning to me with a sheepish look.

And if this test is so bloody important to our survival out on the road, why was I allowed to walk away with my failure, get back on my bike, and ride home?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Took my hazard perception test in March 2006. Despite the on-screen warning that 'the software can detect rapid,random clicks and you will fail the test' I did just that and passed with flying colours. It is indeed a complete waste of time.