Wednesday 18 June 2008

Don't ask me - I only work here


I love going to work…

It’s when I get there the fun seems to stop.

This week I was told that a new ‘Electronic Change Request’ system will be brought on-line in 10 days time – and would I like to have a look at it?

Bloody right I would!

This is a major part of my job - and they’re replacing a totally foolproof semi-paper system that has never failed in 20 years, with an electronic system doomed to make more work and be less efficient.

It might surprise you to learn there were massive gaping holes in the system, and when I asked Mr IT why, he said no one had told him these things were required.

And how many times do you think I was consulted during the ‘design’ of this system? I’ll give you a clue - it’s a nice round number less than 1.

Just in case you’re thinking of me as the office dinosaur, we had a similar attempt at ‘improving’ another process about a year ago – and that ended up in the waste bin (metaphorically speaking, because we don't have any of those).

No comments: