Wednesday 11 June 2008

42


42 days is the Ultimate Answer, or so Gordon Brown-Nose would have us all believe.

(Dear Douglas Adams – how we miss you, but your legacy will live forever!)

Today is an important day for Gordon, but more so, it’s an important day for British liberty. Today sees the vote in the Commons on the 42-day detention limit.

The Conservatives, Lib Dems and about 30 Labour MPs oppose the 42-day extension, but the result is expected to be so close that Gordon is now offering to buy off the nine Democratic Unionist Party MPs. And he’s made so many compromises with caveats to his Labour rebels, that the Bill will be unworkable anyway.

Some of those rebels who know this Bill is wrong in principle, will vote for it solely to save further damage to Gordon and the party. Such is politics today!

This Bill should be defeated and I hope it will, but I think Gordon will win.

And finally, a further tribute to The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. As I write this I’m reminded of The Whale, whose words could so easily be those of our Prime Minister…

“Er, excuse me, who am I? Hello? Why am I here? What’s my purpose in life? What do I mean by who am I?”

No comments: