Tuesday 8 July 2008

Stelvio and (thankfully) back


Phew! Made it back!

That was 2670 miles in 10 days that took in 7 counties and at least 5 Alpine passes including the famous Stelvio and Grossglockner Passes.

Glad to get back for a rest…

Despite a couple of vertigo attacks, it was bloody fantastic. Everywhere we went the roads were brilliant, everywhere we went other road users were bike friendly, everywhere was clean, and everywhere the roads felt safer than they do in this country – well, apart from the sheer drops with nothing to stop you plummeting 10.000ft to certain death.

One impression I’ve brought back is how far this country has generally dropped behind the rest, particularly with our road safety. I’m convinced the last 10 years of our speed centric road policy has introduced a decline in driving skills. Over there, drivers seem more aware and more tolerant and they are able to use speed sensibly.

Talking of which, aren’t those Autobahns brilliant? Nice to stretch the bike’s legs once in a while.



I took this picture from the top of the Stelvio Pass - and you can't even see most of the 48 hairpin bends!!

It was a queezy moment taking that shot and the thought of getting on the bike to ride down was not immediately appealing, but I did it and it was great fun. I think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stelvio...awesome! And I thought I did well to negotiate zig-zag hill without over-shooting the other weekend-lol. I think vertigo would have kicked in big time in my case, though. Well done to you both.